Protecting Your Countertop During the Holidays
Let’s face it, accidents happen! Your well-meaning friend opens another bottle of red wine, and clumsily spills a little while removing the cork. A cousin insists on helping in the kitchen and places a hot pot directly onto the countertop. You’ re jotting down information and the ink from your pen bleeds through the paper. You could be slicing bread on top of its wrapper, and the blade goes through the paper. All of these examples could damage your beautiful stone countertops quite easily.
5 Great Tips:
Here are some tips on how to protect your stone countertops during the holidays and throughout the year:
- Have ready a surface that can handle the heat of a pot or dish, such as a chopping board, a potholder, a bamboo heat mat, or a trivet for example.
- Clean up quickly after a spill to avoid irreparable damage. Allowing a dark stain to dry overnight can be disastrous to say the least.
- Know the characteristics of your stone well. Is it Siliceous stone or Calcareous stone? By knowing the difference between the two types of stone, you’ re better able to care for your countertops.
- A mild detergent or stone cleaner can be used to clean some surface stains. A poultice, with a paste-like consistency, is allowed to dry overnight in order to draw out deeper stains. Search the internet and other resources for the best concoction to do the job well.
- It is necessary to reseal your stone periodically. Use the appropriate sealer for the type of stone of your countertops. Sealers that penetrate the surface last longer than sealers that create a film on the surface of the stone.
Carr Stone & Tile
Our knowledgeable and friendly staff can assist you in selecting the apropos cleaners and sealers for your type of stone to protect your investment. Contact Carr Stone to consult with our expert sales staff or our in-house design coordinators to assist you at (504) 835-8453. We are located at 3200 Andover Street in Jefferson, Louisiana. Our showroom and display area are open daily, Monday through Friday, from 9am to 4pm. Samples are available upon request.
New construction or renovation… no job is too big or too small!