What is Natural Stone?
Natural Stone has literally become part of the building blocks of our civilization. It refers to a number of different types of products quarried from the earth. Many of them have been incorporated into architecture since the dawn of mankind. Natural stone has endured the tests of time through its strength, beauty, and durability. These characteristics are not only why it is admired, but also why it is used in both residential and commercial interior and exterior designs. Whether you are consider Granite, Marble, or Quartzite, natural stone can be a wonderful addition to your project.
The surface of a Stone may be finished in a variety of ways. Below are some typical terms:
- Polished finish – a glossy surface which brings out the full color and character of the stone.
- Hone finish – a satin smooth surface finish with little or no gloss. This is recommended for commercial floors.
- Thermal finish – a surface treatment applied by intense heat flaming.
- Diamond sawed – finish produced by sawing with a diamond toothed saw.
- Rough sawn – a surface finish resulting from the gang sawing (or frame saw) process.
- Brush-hammered – a mechanical process which produces textured surfaces. Texture varies from subtle to rough.
Natural Stone can be a great addition for exterior design planning as well. Some of the most common applications include the following:
- Water Fountains
- Outdoor Kitchens & BBQ
- Structural Columns & Pavors
Natural stone can be incorporated into a variety of interior applications. Some of the most popular applications include the following:
- Fire Places
- Residential Bars