Cleaning a bathroom can be quite a pain especially when it comes to cleaning grout. But, if you have mold, it is safer to take care of it sooner and not procrastinate. Mold causes a variety of health problems and can even damage your bathroom tiles, marble, or granite. Mold produces allergens that can cause reactions in some people, including hay fever-type symptoms.
Mildew and Mold
Mildew is another fungi-produced coating that can form on damp surfaces. Mildew usually grows in a flat pattern and appears powdery and white or gray. Mold is darker in color, usually black or green, and penetrates the surface of what it’s growing on.
Wallpaper and Glue
DIY Mold Removal
If you plan on trying to clean mold yourself, the EPA advises you to wear rubber gloves, googles and a respirator. Here are some options for simple surface mold removal:
- Bleach: Mix 1 cup bleach with enough water to make 1 gallon. Put the solution in a spray bottle, or spread it with a sponge or cloth. There’s no need to rinse.
- Borax: Mix 1 cup borax with enough water to make 1 gallon. Borax is less harsh-smelling and corrosive than bleach. Apply the solution to the surface and scrub with a brush; don’t rinse. Wipe the surface dry.
- Vinegar: Use full-strength vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the affected area and wipe off.
- Ammonia: This is suitable for killing mold on smooth, nonporous surfaces. Never use it with bleach. Treat the area with a solution of equal parts ammonia and water, leave on for 10 minutes, and rinse with water.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Spray full-strength hydrogen peroxide on the moldy surface and let it sit for 10 minutes to loosen the mold. Wipe the surface and don’t rinse.
- Baking soda: Mix ½ teaspoon baking soda in 1 gallon water and scrub the moldy surface, then rinse with water. This is particularly useful for killing mold on upholstery.
- Tea tree oil: Use 1 teaspoon tea tree oil per cup of water and spray on the surface.Leave it on for a few minutes and then wipe off.
How to Prevent Mold
Moisture control is the key to controlling mold. This is kinda hard when it comes to a bathroom. Always use ventilation in a bathroom to remove condensation from showers. Clean your bathroom regularly to prevent mold and mildew from growing.